Brexit: The universal salve? The universal corrosive? The universal package of all desires, all hopes, and all nightmares?
Its meaning changes constantly, the slipperiest of eels, because
– “We” do not have control
– “We” will not have control
– No-one yet knows what it will look like
– It will be hard on some
– It will be soft on others
– It is hope of freedom but it will not give the ordinary people who voted (for or against it) any more power
– The UK could end up with a relationship like Norway (outside the EU but access to the single market) or like Kenya
– It’s partly a rejection of Thatcherism by people who have admiration, or at least respect, for Thatcher
– It’s the face of an ideology almost everyone wants to escape from, but most people don’t know what that is. And Brexit might make us *more* vulnerable to its vicissitudes
– The referendum result broadly expressed two contradictory desires: Nationalism and Anarchy
– The PLP are hung up on scapegoating
– The PCP are hung up on power
Brexit. Available Now! A Fantastic Opportunity! The Rejuvenation Or Death Of Neoliberalism.